Dear METNY Region,
The 2013-2014 Regional Board has taken it upon themselves to review and evaluate the Regional Constitution. After much discussion, we decided that a complete rewrite of the document was necessary for multiple reasons. With the new Geographical Areas, there were many points that had to be rewritten to adjust. We felt that some of the ideas of the Constitution are somewhat outdated from the current ideals of USY, as it has not been amended since 2005. The foundation of the Constitution has remained intact however the language and ideals of the Constitution have been updated.
For the past few months, the Regional Board has had nightly meetings to discuss the Constitution and have put countless hours of their time into the process. We have carefully looked at each section of the Constitution and taken only the best and most important ideas. There were several sections that we did not feel belong in the Constitution and those sections were eliminated due to their outdated content. In short, we kept the frame of the Constitution and updated ideas and language.
At Regional Convention, these changes will be put to a vote. At the beginning of Regional Elections, all voting delegates will be asked to mark a special ballot either “Yes” or “No”, with “Yes” in support of the New Constitution and “No” in support of the Current Constitution. In order to ratify the New Constitution, we will need a two-thirds majority (2/3) to vote “Yes”.
The amendment process of the Current Constitution has been followed very closely. It is stated in the Current Constitution that any proposed amendments must be made available to the Region two (2) weeks prior to the vote. In these next two weeks before Regional Convention, feel free to contact a Regional Board member with any questions pertaining to the proposed New Constitution.
Some of the biggest points are as follows:
• The language throughout Article I (most notably in Section 1.01 of the New Constitution) has been updated to include the ever important values of fun and friendship. Many of us love USY because of the special bonds created and we felt that this should be reflected in the New Constitution. We also updated the language throughout Article I to reflect the mission of USY more closely (Section 1.02, 1.03, and 1.04).
• The Chartering Process (Section 2.02 of the New Constitution) has been made more accessible. USY is always welcoming of new chapters and members so we felt no reason to keep the restrictive Chartering Process.
• Due to the new Regional Structure, we had to create Article III (New Constitution) to outline the new structure. Section 3.01 lays the rules for the new Geographic Areas and Chapters.
• Article IV outlines the structure, responsibilities, standards, and functions of the Regional Board. Section 4.02 through 4.07 (the duties of the Regional Board) remains largely unchanged from the Current Constitution to the New Constitution with the exception of a few language changes. Standards (Section 4.08 of New Constitution) have not changed and there are only minor changes in the Censure and Impeachment Section (Section 4.09 of the New Constitution).
• In Article V, we kept many points. Eligibility, Voting Process, Nominations, and Speeches remain largely unchanged. We added the Nay Process that was always intact but never actually written in the Constitution (Section 5.05 of the New Constitution).
• We added Article VI, Events and Calendar, as a way to empower the board and USYers. The Board will see what events people enjoy and will recommend to the Regional Director that s/he schedules said events for the following year. This is a great way to influence the future of USY.
• Throughout the entire Constitution, the power of the Regional Board and the President has been reduced, empowering USYers. Most notably, Section 7.02 creates an amendment process available to USYers.
As shown above, there are many positive changes that the Regional Board has made. We hope that you take the time to look deeper into the Current and New Constitution to understand all of the changes that we have made. Once again, please feel free to contact a Regional Board member with any questions you have concerning the changes made. You can also leave comments and questions on this blog post.
Click here to download the 2014 Constitution with Proposed Amendments
Please refer to Current Constitution here:
METNY Regional Board 2013-2014
Long time no talk. I spent the last two months traveling the holy land, with your IA, Shira Yardana King Berkman. Although we both loved it and learned a lot we very much did miss you and the rest of the best region on earth. I thought a lot about you guys and how the events were going, the transition process and how your bowl movements were going (something I think about a lot). And as much as I love Israel I truly bleed METNY purple and was so excited to get back to work. I have started assigning Torah for RC so if you want to read here is your shot, I'm calling on you seniors, last chance to step up and learn!! I have also dived right back into the discussions for the future of this region, many of you don't realize the behind the scenes work that goes into every little detail. After my journey I have much more wisdom to share but today I will share three things.
1) Israel Rocks, if you have not been, GO. If you have been, GOOOO!
2) I realized how blessed I was to have so many homes. My family, friends, Israel, summer camp and of course METNY. All of us are truly blessed
3) "If not now when", these are the best years of our lives and don't just sit back and let them control you. Stand up and make a difference in someones life, don't be afraid to do this or say that because as I learned from a very very wise women: "Better to have done something bad and apologized for it, than to have never done anything bad at all". Basically life live to the fullest because as a realize more and more each day, before we turn around the things we took for granted like living at home, high school and USY will be over.
I really love you all,
Bradley Louis Goldman
Regional Rel/Ed of METNY USY 2013-2014
"No matter where my body is my heart will always bleed purple