Dear METNY Region,
The 2013-2014 Regional Board has taken it upon themselves to review and evaluate the Regional Constitution. After much discussion, we decided that a complete rewrite of the document was necessary for multiple reasons. With the new Geographical Areas, there were many points that had to be rewritten to adjust. We felt that some of the ideas of the Constitution are somewhat outdated from the current ideals of USY, as it has not been amended since 2005. The foundation of the Constitution has remained intact however the language and ideals of the Constitution have been updated.
For the past few months, the Regional Board has had nightly meetings to discuss the Constitution and have put countless hours of their time into the process. We have carefully looked at each section of the Constitution and taken only the best and most important ideas. There were several sections that we did not feel belong in the Constitution and those sections were eliminated due to their outdated content. In short, we kept the frame of the Constitution and updated ideas and language.
At Regional Convention, these changes will be put to a vote. At the beginning of Regional Elections, all voting delegates will be asked to mark a special ballot either “Yes” or “No”, with “Yes” in support of the New Constitution and “No” in support of the Current Constitution. In order to ratify the New Constitution, we will need a two-thirds majority (2/3) to vote “Yes”.
The amendment process of the Current Constitution has been followed very closely. It is stated in the Current Constitution that any proposed amendments must be made available to the Region two (2) weeks prior to the vote. In these next two weeks before Regional Convention, feel free to contact a Regional Board member with any questions pertaining to the proposed New Constitution.
Some of the biggest points are as follows:
• The language throughout Article I (most notably in Section 1.01 of the New Constitution) has been updated to include the ever important values of fun and friendship. Many of us love USY because of the special bonds created and we felt that this should be reflected in the New Constitution. We also updated the language throughout Article I to reflect the mission of USY more closely (Section 1.02, 1.03, and 1.04).
• The Chartering Process (Section 2.02 of the New Constitution) has been made more accessible. USY is always welcoming of new chapters and members so we felt no reason to keep the restrictive Chartering Process.
• Due to the new Regional Structure, we had to create Article III (New Constitution) to outline the new structure. Section 3.01 lays the rules for the new Geographic Areas and Chapters.
• Article IV outlines the structure, responsibilities, standards, and functions of the Regional Board. Section 4.02 through 4.07 (the duties of the Regional Board) remains largely unchanged from the Current Constitution to the New Constitution with the exception of a few language changes. Standards (Section 4.08 of New Constitution) have not changed and there are only minor changes in the Censure and Impeachment Section (Section 4.09 of the New Constitution).
• In Article V, we kept many points. Eligibility, Voting Process, Nominations, and Speeches remain largely unchanged. We added the Nay Process that was always intact but never actually written in the Constitution (Section 5.05 of the New Constitution).
• We added Article VI, Events and Calendar, as a way to empower the board and USYers. The Board will see what events people enjoy and will recommend to the Regional Director that s/he schedules said events for the following year. This is a great way to influence the future of USY.
• Throughout the entire Constitution, the power of the Regional Board and the President has been reduced, empowering USYers. Most notably, Section 7.02 creates an amendment process available to USYers.
As shown above, there are many positive changes that the Regional Board has made. We hope that you take the time to look deeper into the Current and New Constitution to understand all of the changes that we have made. Once again, please feel free to contact a Regional Board member with any questions you have concerning the changes made. You can also leave comments and questions on this blog post.
Click here to download the 2014 Constitution with Proposed Amendments
Please refer to Current Constitution here:
METNY Regional Board 2013-2014
Long time no talk. I spent the last two months traveling the holy land, with your IA, Shira Yardana King Berkman. Although we both loved it and learned a lot we very much did miss you and the rest of the best region on earth. I thought a lot about you guys and how the events were going, the transition process and how your bowl movements were going (something I think about a lot). And as much as I love Israel I truly bleed METNY purple and was so excited to get back to work. I have started assigning Torah for RC so if you want to read here is your shot, I'm calling on you seniors, last chance to step up and learn!! I have also dived right back into the discussions for the future of this region, many of you don't realize the behind the scenes work that goes into every little detail. After my journey I have much more wisdom to share but today I will share three things.
1) Israel Rocks, if you have not been, GO. If you have been, GOOOO!
2) I realized how blessed I was to have so many homes. My family, friends, Israel, summer camp and of course METNY. All of us are truly blessed
3) "If not now when", these are the best years of our lives and don't just sit back and let them control you. Stand up and make a difference in someones life, don't be afraid to do this or say that because as I learned from a very very wise women: "Better to have done something bad and apologized for it, than to have never done anything bad at all". Basically life live to the fullest because as a realize more and more each day, before we turn around the things we took for granted like living at home, high school and USY will be over.
I really love you all,
Bradley Louis Goldman
Regional Rel/Ed of METNY USY 2013-2014
"No matter where my body is my heart will always bleed purple
This has been a long week! After picking the design for the banner, Becca Haber and I spend two long hard afternoons working on it. Paint will permanently be under our finger nails forever. Not only did we paint but we started working on the opening video. I hope it gets a few laughs.
I've called so many people and asked them to sign up. People don't realize how soon the deadline is but it's today! Due to Passover being right before the convention, we need to let the caterers know how much people well be so they can plan before pesach. Sorry it has to be closed so soon but it is what it is. Everyone planning on going should be signed up.
I'm going to koach kinnus later today and can't wait to see so regional board members. I haven't seen them since last Sunday. The regional president, Jacob Adam Wasserman, divisional sato, Eric Uffer, David Grodenchik and I are all cramming into the regional sa/to, josh uffers's Honda to drive up to koach kinnus. It will be and intersting ride. Wish me luck
Your First Lady and RC co-chair
Jamie Michelle Gross
Hey METNY! How's it hangin'?
Only 35 days left until Regional Convention! How crazy is that? You know what that means, only one more week to sign up for the best weekend of your life! This Sunday, my fellow co-chairs (Jamie and Murphy) and I spent the day in the city and brainstormed our tushies off. Before our meeting, we headed to Times Square for some inspiration and lunch. Once we got to the METNY office, (which I've never been to; it's pretty sweet) we got right down to business. We spent a total of 4 hours planning, laughing, and researching to make METNY's Regional Game Show the best convention ever! It's going to be a weekend like you've never seen before! With so many amazing programs and choices, there will never be a dull moment. We're trying really hard to get GSN on board and broadcast it on live TV. No luck yet, but well keep trying. Tuesday I had dinner with Murphy, Jamie, and your fabulous president Jacob. I drove a total of 45 minutes for salad. It was a pretty successful adventure, I'd say. Anyway, I hope you all have an amazing weekend! Get super psyched and DONT FORGET TO SIGN UP! If you're reading this, it means you're already on the METNY website, so what are ya waiting for?
Peace out METNY,
Your Regional Convention Co-chair Becca Haber
here is nothing like a meeting in New York! This week, the METNY Regional Board and implementation committee had a meeting about the future developments of the region. I had a chance to listen in on the meeting and there are some neat changes headed our way! As for Regional Convention, planning has been a breeze. Jamie, Becca and I have a very entertaining group chat where we discuss ideas for the event! Kudos to the two girls for designing the banner in such a short amount of time! Me, I just stick with the décor and programming. Overall, there is a great team planning the event for you guys and I am so excited to see the looks on your faces when you walk into the ballroom. I guarantee you that you won’t know if you are in a hotel or a studio. (hint hint) Overall, meeting at the Metny office is so much fun, especially when we squeeze in a quick Central Park ice skating session beforehand! Remember that RC registration is OPEN!!!!! Please sign up ASAP! See you guys at Chazak Kinnus!
Regional Convention Co-Chair
This week got really busy, really quickly. First of all, I’m excited to see a bunch of you at Kiryah Kinnus this weekend. Second of all, a lot of awesome stuff has been happening with RC planning this week. One of your lovely cochairs, Becca Haber, and I began creating the icebreaker of the century. Your favorite SA/TO, the great Joshua Chaim Uffer, also began making the SA/TO program of the century. Needless to say, this will be the RC of the century. We’ve been working hard already making calls to all of you, so if you haven’t yet received a call, expect one soon. So please pick up when we call because we love talking to you and voicemails get really boring, really quickly.
With a board meeting coming up Sunday, we’re gonna have a ton of updates coming your way in next week’s blog post, so be sure to stay tuned and SIGN UP FOR REGIONAL CONVENTION 2014!
Starting this Monday, we’re going to be starting something called #METNYMonday on Twitter and Facebook. So tweet or post with the hashtag, #METNYMonday, to spread METNY awareness and excitement. Tag @METNYUSY on Twitter and you might just get a shout out, reply, retweet, or favorite. I gotta go pack but I’m pumped for RC and super excited for #METNYMonday! See ya at Kiryah, Koach, and Chazak Kinnusim.
METNY Mem/Kad 2013-2014
David L Plaut
What a week it has been METNY!
There have been so many events going on, I can't even keep track. First was last week, where my bffl, Josh Uffer, and I went to the 10th/11th grade Shabbaton. We went only expecting to be there for a half an hour, but got sucked into the fun and decided to stay for another two. I munched on some baked ziti, chatted with the future delegates who are running for next year's Regional Board, and brought down the roof by preforming "We Didn't Start the Fire", again with my bffl, Josh Uffer. It was a great night and a ton of fun.
This past week, I also had a meeting Tuesday night, with Rabbi Gordon Yaffe, to discuss our plans for a USY ruach filled weekend at his temple at Little Neck Jewish Center. It's going to be a great weekend (March 21st- 23rd) and I hope to see my peeps from Kiryah, Chazak and Rakevet there.
But there is one that takes the cherry on top of that delicious sundae that is METNY USY and that is Regional Convention. There has already been a great amount of wok that has been put into this event already, and it really is a wonderful theme. Expect a phone call soon from one of your Regional/ Divisional Board members to remind you to sign up for this event. If I have you on my call list, I can't wait to chat, and if not, I will see you at either Kiryah, Chazak, or Koach Kinnus.
It’s that time of the year again; Regional Convention planning!! Even though many of us are on vacation (shout out to my main presidents, George and Abe), our awesome Regional President, Jacob Wasserman, sent out a message to the Regional Board saying that whoever was around should come and help. Even though it was cold and wet, and I had stayed up late to watch Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show (love you Jimmy!), I knew that there was work to be done. I left my house, hopped off the subway, walked towards the METNY office, and here I was, ready to start planning. Rachelle helped us lay out a “To-do” list and Jacob disappointed us all by bringing a babka that looked delicious but was pretty underwhelming (kind of like Jacob in a tux…). One of our co-chairs, Jamie Gross, was throwing out great ideas left-and-right, and even began working on some hot promo material. It’s early, but it looks like this RC is gonna be one of the best ones ever. Uh-oh, Rachelle just caught me writing this instead of doing work. Oops! Gotta go for now, but stay tuned for more great RC updates
---Tomer Langer, Kiryah Divisional President 2013-2014.
Regional Convention is coming up April 25-27 at the Hudson Valley Resort
It's gonna be the best event of the year, so don't miss out-- register now!
Still need convincing? Click "read more" to check out this awesome METNY Buzzfeed one of the co-chairs made