Today is December 13, 2013 -
International Summer Scholarships
WAYS TO SAVE!
We do not want finances to prevent anyone from participating in a USY summer program. We will be happy to work with you to try to overcome any financial difficulties.
There are a number of sources for scholarship funds.
For ALL USY Summer Programs:
1) Help a Friend – Talk to your friends about the program you are going on this summer and if they decide to sign up you will get $50 off your program. For every person that you get to enroll on a USY Summer Program, who indicated that you are the reason they are signing up, you will get $50 off your own summer escape.
2) Men’s Club, Sisterhood, etc., – Contact your synagogue’s Men’s Club and Sisterhood. They may have scholarship funds available.
3) Your Rabbi – Rabbis have discretionary funds and often want to help people like you get to Israel.
4) Announcement in your Synagogue Bulletin or Weekly Newsletter – If you send our office (either via hard copy or email) a copy of the announcement in your synagogue’s publication with your name and the program you are enrolled in, you will earn $50 towards your summer program. We have 4 versions available at: http://www.usy.org/escape/ads/
5) Federation – Your local Federation may offer scholarships for Israel Programs (most Federations do). Additionally, some Federations offer scholarship for USY on Wheels programs, as well. Information on most federations can be found on our USY scholarship database at http://www.usy.org/escape/israel/database/.
6) Your USY Region – Each USY region has a limited amount of funds available through their Tikun Olam Tzedakah program. Please check with your Regional Youth Director for additional details.
7) Some communities throughout North America have a Hebrew Free Loan Association. Although these are not scholarships, they are interest-free loans. Which may also be of assistance.
8) The International USY office has a very limited amount of funds available for cases of extreme and unique need. There is an application process. Applicants must show that they have applied for other assistance as well. Our funds can only be applied after the applicant demonstrates that they have sought additional assistance through other sources.
For USY Israel Pilgrimage:
A) Plant Your Way to Israel – The Jewish National Fund (JNF) offers the opportunity to help plant trees in Israel
and earn money to pay for an Israel trip. For more information on this program go to their website at -
B) If you are applying to participate in the Israel Pilgrimage/ Poland Seminar or Eastern Europe/ Israel Pilgrimage, assistance is available from the Federation of Jewish Men’s Clubs through their Yellow Candle Program. http://www.usy.org/escape/israel/scholarship/ **Please note that your synagogue must be a participant in the Yellow Candle Program in order for you to be eligible for assistance.
Please do not wait until the last minute to seek assistance, since all scholarship granting agencies have deadlines and limited funds.
Along with scholarships, International USY can help you set up a payment plan. This plan will assist in paying for a certain program over a period of time. If you are interested in setting up a payment plan, please be in touch as soon as possible with Aviva Tilles, Director of USY Summer Programs, via email at email@example.com or via phone at 212-533-7800 ext 1116.